Saturday, January 22, 2005

Boycott CNN, FNC, MSNBC, Major Network News

A very good friend of mine wrote to me about the photo in my previous post, how CNN was softening the episode, "the soldiers were skittish because of so many car bomb attacks... the US will indemnify the girl..." - the US is going to buy her new parents?

I didn't catch the CNN report because I have been boycotting CNN, Faux News, MSNBC, since the election. By and large, I've also boycotted the major network's news (I did tune in during the first two weeks of the tsunami disaster) but my rule is not hard and fast - ABC, CBS, NBC, they're all the same.

As Media Matters reported yesterday, CNN, Faux News, and MSNBC have completely abandoned any pretense of being balanced. The corporate masters know where their bread is buttered (a corrupt administration engaged in corporate quid pro quo) and have forsaken objective journalism for giving the Red States - and BushCo - what they want.

I don't know why anyone on the left (with the exception of media watchdog groups) would continue to tune into cable or network news, especially since it's common knowledge that journalism has been replaced by spin. Still, I recognize that it's a hard habit to break.

Break the habit. Turn off cable and network news and then let everyone you know why you've done it. If cable and network news outlets want to fall back on the excuse of free-market capitalism determining spin, er, "content" (at the expense of objectively reporting facts) then we can play by free-market rules and not buy the bullshit. Since I went cold-turkey with cable and network news I've used the internet exclusively for news and I'm still better informed than 99.9999% of Americans.

Kill ugly TV - Boycott CNN, Faux News, MSNBC and network news.

|

<< Home