Monday, November 08, 2004

"Whatever It Takes"

Last Tuesday, as the exit polls were showing a clear victory for Kerry in Ohio and Florida, a chilling thought came to me regarding statements George Bush had made regarding the defense of the US, "I will never relent in defending America, whatever it takes." At that moment my fear was something dramatic, stentorian, and I said my fear was that Bush would construe a Kerry victory as "dangerous for America" and would refuse to relinquish power.

In retrospect, I'm embarassed by how short-sighted I was, how naive, how simplistic my thinking was at that moment. There was no reason to worry about a Bush coup because Bush knew there would be no Kerry victory. The fix was in. Greg Palast saw it before the election and now we're seeing it as we realize things just don't add up in Florida and Ohio. The story of the stolen election is no longer just about inconsistencies between exit-polling and "actual results". The story has now grown into actual technical evidence (via The Smirking Chimp) and is just about to take on a life of its own.

Apparently, "whatever it takes" meant having voting machines hacked and eliminating the paper trails that would throw light on the crime.

|

<< Home