Tuesday, November 09, 2004

James Dobson and My First Internet Spit-Take

Here I was, trying to wind down with a cup of green tea when I read this on TPM, an exchange yesterday between George Stephanopoulos and James Dobson on This Week:
GEORGE STEPHANOPOULOS: Dr. Dobson, you also have a problem with the ranking Democrat on the Senate Judiciary Committee, Senator Patrick Leahy. I want to show something that was reported in "The Daily Oklahoman" during the campaign. In the "Daily Oklahoman," it quoted you saying, "Patrick Leahy is a God's people hater. I don't know if he hates God, but he hates God's people." Now, Dr. Dobson, that doesn't sound like a particularly Christian thing to say. Do you think you owe Senator Leahy an apology?

DR JAMES DOBSON: George, you think you ought to lecture me on what a Christian is all about? You know, I think -I think I'll stand by the things I have said. Patrick Leahy has been in opposition to most of the things that I believe. He is the one that took the reference to God out of the oath.

GEORGE STEPHANOPOULOS: But Dr. Dobson, excuse me for a second. You use the word hate. You said that he's a "God's people hater." How do you back that up?

DR JAMES DOBSON: Well, there's been an awful lot of hate expressed in this election. And most of it has been aimed at those who hold to conservative Christian views. He is certainly not the only one to take a position like that. But
I think that that is -that's where he's coming from. He has certainly
opposed most of the things that conservative Christians stand for.

GEORGE STEPHANOPOULOS: So no apology?

DR JAMES DOBSON: No apology.

Green tea went all over my goddamn monitor, drops glistening like little rhinestones. I wish I had a video of it, it was classic.

I live in Manitou Springs which is spitting distance from Colorado Springs (believe me, it's a common occurance for me), home of Dobson's little Sturm Abteilung "Focus on the Family" and he's a damned liar (his statement above, "...there's been an awful lot of hate expressed in this election. And most of it has been aimed at those who hold to conservative Christian views..." should put any doubts about that to rest).

Back in 1992, Focus on the Family was trying to foist an amendment on the Colorado voters that would have legalized discrimination against gays and lesbians. The amendment read:
"No Protected Status Based on Homosexual, Lesbian, or Bisexual Orientation. Neither the State of Colorado, through any of its branches or departments, nor any of its agencies, political subdivisions, municipalities or school districts, shall enact, adopt or enforce any statute, regulation, ordinance or policy whereby homosexual, lesbian or bisexual orientation, conduct, practices or relationships shall constitute or otherwise be the basis of or entitle any person or class of persons to have or claim any minority status, quota preferences, protected status or claim of discrimination. This Section of the Constitution shall be in all respects self-executing."

However, in pushing that initiative, Focus on the Family (Dobson's SA) and their advocacy group "Colorado For Family Values" (CFV) told the voters that it wasn't an amendment for legalized discrimination. The way they positioned it, if the amendment didn't pass, if you were renting a room you'd be forced to rent to a homosexual, gays and lesbians would be recruiting in schools... you know, the same massive bullshit the Religious Right is still lying about when it comes to issues of homosexuality.

One of the local universities hosted a forum with Dobson's lapdog Kevin Tebedo preaching the CFV line. I attended, hot under the collar, wondering how these so-called Christians reconciled using one sin to fight another (ie, lying vs. homosexuality). When it was my turn at the mic, I asked Tebedo why, in his theology, it OK to lie - and lie on a massive scale - in order to oppress others he perceived to be sinful? He claimed he didn't know what I was talking about (he probably didn't; Tebedo may have been clever but not exceedingly bright) and so I repeated what he'd told the audience countless times that evening ("This amendment isn't about legalizing discrimination") and then read the pertinent section of the amendment, "whereby homosexual, lesbian or bisexual orientation, conduct, practices or relationships shall constitute or otherwise be the basis of or entitle any person or class of persons to have or claim any minority status, quota preferences, protected status or claim of discrimination," and then told him he'd been lying "all goddamned night."

I think they got the mic out of my hands after I called him a "lying sack of shit" and "a venal little fuck stick" (and bloodied the nose of one of the people trying to grab the mic from me) but by then 90% of the room was likewise wondering why he felt Jeebus was giving him a pass on the sin of dishonesty.

See, Dobson and his pissant ilk have a definite problem with honesty. It's not (as many have suggested) that they're completely out of touch with reality, although there is a lot of that as well. Believe it or not, Dobson is smart enough to know that he's lying through his fucking teeth - and he has no problem with it. "Values" is nothing more to him than a slogan to sell toothpaste. In the grand scheme of things, people like Dobson wipe their ass with "values", "values" is for saps, a line of hateful rhetoric to be sold to any halfwit hayseed stupid enough to buy it. "Values" is what makes Dobson rich, "values" is what Dobson uses to get his buddy Bush to give him tax breaks at the expense of the neanderthals who buy Dobson's crap wholesale.

Fuck their "values", I like sleeping at night.

|

<< Home